ss_blog_claim=d6f0727c693f11e32c6623835ef02ab7

Sunday, November 30, 2008

My first fruit salad...

This year brings a lot of first for me... with the passing away of my wife and being left on my own, I have to do things by myself. With my wife's birthday yesterday, I just don't want to it pass without us preparing anything to celebrate the day.

Yet no matter how much I write to her, I know I would still be alone to prepare for it. And so I decided to make fruit salad and cook spaghetti on her birthday. The spaghetti wasn't much a big deal for me, as I have already prepared it before. The only difference is that this time, nobody was coaching me this time as I was cooking.

But for the fruit salad, it's definitely a first for me. I tried to look at cook books and searched on the internet, but what I see only confuses me. Relying on my gut feel and remembering how my wife prepared it then, I bought the needed ingredients and just began making the fruit salad.

All through the process, I was asking the children what they remembered their mother was doing. "Does Mama add the juice of the fruit cocktail in the salad?" I asked my son Edgar, and he answered that she didn't add the juice or syrup. "How much condensed milk does she put?" I followed, and this time none of the kids remembered.

Still, I went on with the procedure, and everything was a guessing game for me. Fortunately, it didn't turn out bad. Big deal! I know - fruit cocktail, all-purpose cream, condensed milk, apples... what could go wrong?!

Like I said, it's a first for me.

Just one more of the firsts that I will be facing all alone from now on...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

belated sa wifey mo ah hehehe di dapat sinasama yung syrup ng fruit cocktail hehehe drain mo muna para di mapaniz agad if madami yung gawa mo ah :D pero sabi mo naman masarap edi ayos na ayos hehehe lagyan mo cheese minsan mas sasarap yan :D

Anonymous said...

thanks joan, hindi ko nga sinama

t3ss4 said...

Hi Kuya Roy :) ok lang kaya kung magkkuya me? :D

Reading this entry somehow made me sad and glad at the same time. I don't want to mention the sad thoughts though, coz I know you've went through them already... and I guess you know what I'll say. hehe. so skip na lang natin yun.
I'm just glad that you seem to be doing good on your own... and I think she'll be proud and happy of how you're doing well.

The firsts are mostly unforgettable... which reminds me of how I first cooked my instant pancit canton. ginawa kong noodles sa dami ng tubig na inilagay, and I was already 18 that time :D hehe...

Belated to your wife.

Have a nice day.

Anonymous said...

thanks for your time Tessa

Share this post